Thursday, March 11, 2010

Plato's Never-ending Cave

Yesterday I was asked if I thought Plato’s Allegory of the Cave implied reality was inside the cave or outside. It didn’t take me long to respond as this is an issue I have thought a lot about… which just proves what a nerd I am… but anyway… We are all inside the cave. The outside of the cave represents a new reality to those in the cave, however they believe the shadows they see on the cave wall as reality. So it only makes sense that the “real world” as we see it is only what we think is reality. Another level of understanding can always be reached.

To go even a step further, I have also thought of it in this way. When the captives are in the cave, they believe the shadows are reality. When the one leaves, he or she gains a new reality and it is frightening to this person. I believe that that new reality he or she gained is nothing more than another cave and eventually he or she will leave that cave also and find a new reality. The process is unending as reality is in the eye of the beholder.

Well my lunch break is over and I have to get back to researching Colorado’s Probate Code… So hopefully this blog makes sense and isn’t just rambling spurred on by the caffeine pulsing through my veins.

No comments: