Friday, October 24, 2008

So why Bob Barr?

Last night's events and the resulting blog made me realize that perhaps I have not done a good enough explanation as to why I have chosen to support Bob Barr. First of all, like I mentioned last night, although I know Barr will not win, I do not believe my vote is wasted. A truly wasted vote is one that is not cast at all or one cast for something you don't believe in or someone you don't support. My vote is not a wasted vote.

Now on to the issues:

First, the economic crisis we currently find ourselves in. Both Obama and McCain supported the bailout of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Bob Barr did and does not support such bailouts (see my upcoming blog on capitalism...). Many people (at least according to polls I have seen) are not in support of this bail out. As Barr puts it, "There ain't a dimes worth of difference between John McCain and Barack Obama" on this bail out issue. And the way I see it, that is the truth.

Next we have the Patriot Act and the protection of American citizens' right to privacy. Since Barr has left congress he has been "working to take the U.S.A. Patriot act, drive a stake through its heart, shoot it, burn it, cut off its head, burn it again, and scatter its ashes to the four corners of the world." Many people who oppose Barr are quick to point out that he voted for the Patriot Act while in Congress and that his reversal just proves that hindsight is 20/20. People change. Bob Barr used to be a Republican too... He has seen the error of his ways and has changed. Since he realized he was wrong he has worked to correct it. It would be one thing if he voted for the Patriot Act and continues supporting it, but he has not continued in its support. He has been trying to right his wrong.

Another issue that is important to me is eminent domain. Libertarians have a perfect stance on this issue in my opinion. As Barr says, "allowing governments, at any level, to confiscate property without a compelling justification represents a serious attack on fundamental liberty." Barr does not see any reason for government to take a person's land away from them unless it is in an overwhelming public interest - and even then only if a truly fair market value is paid for the land.

These are only a few issues, but he has many good points on other issues too. If you have the will and time, check out www.bobbarr2008.com and look into him and his stances. And once again I am not trying to push my views on anyone, just trying to share information. I respect all people and the opinions they posses.

No comments: