Thursday, October 23, 2008

Election 2008

Tonight I was called an idiot because I do not support Barack Obama. I do recognize that everyone has a right to his or her own opinion, but these opinions can put to better use if they were expressed intelligently (i.e. calling someone an idiot is no way to persuade a person's opinion towards your own). I am fine with people supporting Barack Obama as long as they know why they are and can defend that stance.

In tonight's instance though, I was told that Obama is the best candidate this country has ever seen and that if he was not black and his name was not Barack Hussein Obama that the whole entire country would be behind him. So not only was I called an idiot, I was also basically called a racist. Even though I was never supporting Obama, this particular supporter's remarks sealed the deal.

Furthermore, I was told that voting for a third party is a wasted vote. This is a common excuse for people to vote for one of the major parties (Dems and Reps). However, the way I see it, a vote for something you believe in is never a wasted vote. You shouldn't have to support someone because they are from one of the parties in power when you don't agree with him or her. Votes have been cast for many dictators by people that didn't support the dictator but had no choice. We do have a choice! We have an obligation to be true to ourselves!

I believe in the Constitution of this country. I believe in the Bill of Rights. And in that document is a right to expression. Voting is a form of expression. Don't I have the right to choose who I vote for? I shouldn't have to vote for one of the major party tickets because they are the only ones that will win. Why vote for the lesser of two evils when you can vote for someone and something you believe in?

As Bob Barr says, "Obama and McCain are creatures of the status quo." Shouldn't the status quo be questioned? As George Carlin said, "The status quo sucks" and I tend to agree with him.

Go out and vote for who you believe in! I don't care who it is, as long as you know why you support them! And remember what Plato said: "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

No comments: